Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν Κύριον [Luke 1. 46b]

Sunday, March 24, 2013

PALMARUM: Homily - - -

“HOSANNA”
Saint Matthew 21. 1-9
PALMARUM: 24 March Anno Domini 2013
Father Jay Watson SSP

In The + Name of Jesus

   And when you drew nigh unto 67th and Pflumm, and were come to Shawnee, unto the “mount” of Augsburg, then sent Jesus two disciples. And these two servants of the Lord were named Law and Gospel.

   If employed only as empty terms to score debating points with sectarians, they can be less than useful, and possibly harmful. But the Law and the Gospel are NOT stereotypical, “buzz-words” or empty catch-phrases—they are the very breath of the Spirit giving The God/Man’s Person and Work.  They are sharper than any two-edged sword when wielded by the Good Shepherd or one of His under-pastors. And for you His disciples they are His very words of truth. They light your way and show your path. The path is Christ Himself; it is The One entering with you and for you today.   Because…

    You, fallen, sinful, are not always here on the journey with the Christ. You are not daily praying to His Father and petitioning His will be done; interceding for His kingdom and your fellow disciples, neighbors, and enemies. You are not always bridling your tongue but instead too often braying gossip, slanders, and insults. You are not always helping your neighbor to improve his business and property or to keep his wife and honor. Many times you simply leer and lust, envy and covet, malinger and steal. Many times you resent and hate.  Your law-breaking doesn’t just make you “like everybody else,” but rather condemns you as a traitor, a Judas, an ungrateful spy, coward, and convicted criminal. The Law sentences you with God’s full approval to confinement and bondage, to fetters of iron and cages of steel.  One who acts like a wild beast is put into a corral and bound tightly.

   The Lord’s other servant; His Word of Gospel is a sweet, (aromatic, fragrant) free, gracious, smiling, warm, and tender word of love and mercy. The evangel word speaks now to you all:

    “I love you because I chose to love you. Though there is nothing now in you that merits My favor or attention, I of my own nature of love and sacrificial giving deign, elect, decide to simply love you and make you Mine. I give you food and drink, pure beautiful raiment to wear, a family that will never abandon you, and the joy and peace that comes from health, rest, and fellowship with eternity. You are now My disciples; My friends; My brothers and sisters; and My Royal Priests.  You are now freed from your bonds and shackles, and liberated from your dark prison cells. You are out of the darkness and into the Light which comes from My smiling face of care and shelter—for you!”

   And thus with Messias, you In Him, and with Him, the Palmarum journey continues.

   Messias says unto you: “come into Augsburg’s nave, over against you, and straightway ye shall always find a beast of burden, a servant of Mine.  For with the seminary’s training, internship, and certification; and with you own parochial twin disciples of calling and ordaining/installing, this servant will assist you all this day.  For My entry into your midst, into your city of sin, sorrow, tears, and constant Lenten twilight and dusk, must now be, IS NOW, broken and open this glorious morn, this 8th day of the week, the 1st day of the new week—the Holy Week, the Week of My Passion!”

    “Today is not a memory or an anniversary or a scholastic, intellectual tutorial,  today IT IS fulfilled that which My Prophet Zecharias spoke by My Spirit: ‘YOU, daughter of Zion, YOU, New Testament Israel, behold your King comes to you, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and the colt of an ass.’  I The Christ sit upon the Old and the New—upon the Hebrew prophecies and the Greek preachings (which soon were scribed as the fulfilled Gospels and Epistles); upon the Mysteries of Washing & Absolution, and Eucharistic Eating & Drinking.”

   You came, you will come, and you do as your Jesus commands you. The Holy Ghost has gathered you by This Word, enlightened you, and keeps you around the Messias’ Body, Blood, and Word.

    Placed upon a donkey, are the clothes of HIS office—in the stead and by the command.  The beast of burden carries a burden which is no weight, but rather a joy that makes the yoke easy to bear. The beast brings you + invocation, collect, pericopes of Evangel, words of + absolution, and hands and tongue to invite and feed you Your Master the very guest of honor at this parade of life!

   In this banquet throng, in this celebratory entrance to the very throne-room of the Blessed Trinity, your own repentance, good works, and joyous thanksgiving, coupled with your alms and hymns, are the most fitting and salutary garments and palm branches.

   Hear Him ye His martyr band:

   “I ride in to your company as your Lord and God. I process in through your aisle to My chancel and sanctuary of salvation. I mount My New Testament Hilltop to feed you once more with that which I suffered and gave for you on My altar crucifix.

    This day of Palms I spread My punctured palms, my wrists split by spikes of sin, and I cover you with forgiveness and life.

    Hosanna for I AM the Son of David, the Son of My Father and yours.”

    And you join with your brothers and sisters and all the pilgrim multitudes and repeat: “Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna; blessed is He Who is my Lord. Hosanna in the highest.”

 

In The Name of The Father and + of The Son, and of The Holy Ghost

No comments:

Post a Comment