Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν Κύριον [Luke 1. 46b]

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Prayer When Puting on a Crucifix and Remembering Ones Baptism

   Every morning I take off my neck crucifix before showering.  Before I put it back on and come out for breakfast I say this prayer (or an abbreviated version of it):
   It, or something similar, may be of service to you when you put on your necklace cross, crucifix, or Luther Rose pendant     :)  

   It is on bendend knee that Thou hast placed me Heavenly Father to receive Thy gracious gifts.
There is no more fitting positition to be in Thy presence than this for as the Holy Prophet spake, and as was confirmed by the Blessed Apostle: "At the Name of JESUS, every knee in heaven and on earth, and beneath the earth, shall bend; and all tongues shall confess that He is LORD to the glory of The Father."
   I am now clothed with an icon of Thy Son in the form of this crucifix.  This too is salutary for it
was from His Body on the Tree that His life Blood poured forth freely for me - - a veritable geyser
of grace and fountain of love.  His Body and His Blood winning me back, purchasing me, indeed
Redeeming me from all sin, death, and the power of the ancient enemy.
   And though it was an actual historic event - - the climax of all history - -occuring in time and space;
this is no mere past action, no simple recorded "happening" to be hearkened "back to," remembered,
meditated upon and memorialized.  Rather this is an ever present DAILY REALITY, a concrete,
durative, ever-present NOW!   Thy salvation touched me on the (state the date of your Holy + Baptism), in the year of Our Lord Anno Domini (state year) at  Trinity First Lutheran Church (your baptismal parish) in Minneapolis, (town) wherein Pastor Pauling (pastor who baptized you) a
called and ordained under-Shepherd spoke the Words of Our Good Shepherd.  In that living Word and those sanctified waters, The Son was present for me with His Life and Light; His Forgiveness and Peace.  There the Holy Ghost overshadowed me, came upon me, and IN Christ the Word, created infant--yet saving--faith in my heart.  Then and there at that font, in that deluge, I was buried with my
Savior into His death, that even so as He is risen from the dead to die no more, so too I was raised
with Him through the three-fold drowning with Water and Word.  There I was forever bonded into Thy Son Jesus, even as a branch to the Vine, a body member to the Head.  At that moment Thy Son, my Lord, became My Brother and Thou became my Father: Abba Father.
   Overjoyed with this GOOD NEWS, over-flowing with this new, wet, fresh, nature of Sonship, communion, forgiveness, freedom and blessed assurance...I desire again with Thy Apostle, to know nothing and preach nothing save JESUS CHRIST AND HIM CRUCIFIED for the forgiveness of sins and Life Everlasting.
   Through the same Jesus Christ, Thy Son, our Lord, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee and the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment