Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν Κύριον [Luke 1. 46b]

Friday, January 4, 2013

A Homemade Prayer

Ora but no labora today (I finished Sunday's homily yesterday).
 
   While not the strongest or deepest prayer in the Lutheran arsenal, the so-called "common table prayer" amongst Lutherans ("Come Lord Jesus, be our guest...") is a permanent fixture amongst our parishioners at home meals as well as at regularly scheduled congregational potlucks. 
   Of course the perfect and simplest solution is to bring back Dr. Luther's three-part "Blessing and Returning Thanks" as found in the Small Catechism (pp. 23-24 1943 edition, CPH).  But even with this time tested (and almost perfect) jewel of a table prayer, there are those times in public and at home where the "natives are restlesss."  I myself would endeavor to persevere and carry on with the good Reformer's lengthier petitions even at the expense of "freezing" the waiter or waitress in mid-serve, but I know I am the exception.  And at home, sometimes for the sake of the wife's sanity (and the crankiness of the non-Lutheran in-laws) concessions are made.
   Therefore I offer up this very short alternative to the "Come Lord Jesus" default position. This prayer was written for my parishioners and was dedicated to my friend Father Michael Penikis, whose own prolific writings and creative endeavors serve as constant inspiration to me.

Gather us Lord Jesus Christ
Thou art Bread, Server and Host
Sustain us with all Thy gifts
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost

Well, at least it too, is easy to memorize.

No comments:

Post a Comment