Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν Κύριον [Luke 1. 46b]

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Hymn for The TRANSFIGURATION OF OUR LORD

   I have never written hymn lyrics (libretto? words? text? I don't even know the correct nomenclature) before this year (with the exception of an Ascension piece I wrote three years ago to rescue a favorite childhood tune from Baptistic martialism)
   It's hard work, very hard, even harder to do well, and I now see that I don't do it very well.  I still seem to only be capable of  rhyming June with moon.
   But though my respect for the  "real" and legitimate tunesmiths in our midst has only risen, I think I'll keep tinkering away at this new-found hobby.
   My latest endeavor is for this coming Sunday's Feast of THE TRANSFIGURATION - - - you are, of course in a parish that uses the historic One-Year Lectionary?    Can you say SEX-a-gesima?     :)


AFTER SIX DAYS
 
Written for:
TUNE: Eilers, [TLH # 47] Edward J. Hopkins, 1869

WORDS: Jay W. Watson, 2013
METER: 10, 10, 10, 10
 

After six days the Lord Christ took His three
Peter, John, James the brothers Zebedee
To mountain top high that they all would see
A vision of His exalted glory

 
As the true Sun the Christ’s face did then glow
His raiment gleaming whiter than pure snow
He standing with two they strangely did know
The Light through Moses and Prophet did grow

 
Then said Saint Peter unto His dear Lord
Master tis good that on us this is poured
Let us erect now three tents to reward
Torah, the Prophecies and Thy true Word


Peter yet spoke when the cloud obscured all
The Father’s voice booming from darkened wall
This is My Son I love Him did it call
Fearing God’s presence they all did but fall

 
Lifting the three up the Lord spoke fear not
They saw but Jesus on the holy spot
Leaving the mountain He counseled the lot
Post empty tomb would the Vision be taught

 
He succors His lambs from the waging war
Washing and feeding His Grace giving more
The Spirit and Son who loves all us poor
Who with The Father ever to adore

No comments:

Post a Comment