Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν Κύριον [Luke 1. 46b]

Monday, January 7, 2013

A Hymn for the First Sunday after The Epiphany

   I with most of my brethren will be celebrating THE BAPTISM OF OUR LORD this coming Sunday (13 January) on the octave of The Epiphany.  Therefore this year, my parish and I will miss (officially and publicly) the wonderful Gospel text of The Boy Jesus in the Temple (Saint Luke 2. 41-52).
   I have written this hymn (to the tune of TLH # 261, Erhalt uns, Herr) for the day nonetheless.  I'm already singing it with gusto.   ;)


THE TEMPLE LAMB, THE CALVARY LAMB

 
They, went to Pascha Feast each year
To celebrate God’s love most dear
The Exodus from sin and shame
The meaning of the Lord’s true Name

 
They started home when all was done
Whilst in the Temple stayed the Son
Not finding Him amongst their kin
To city traveled back again

 
On the third day her Son she found
In midst of doctor’s teaching ground
The God/Boy Jesus speaking truth
Astounding all this pilgrim Youth

 
The Virgin then did ask the Lad
Why scared thy Father and me sad
With simplest Grace He answered her
I AM my Father’s work most pure

 
Christ went back home to Galilee
Obeying them for all to see
From Boy to Man the Savior grew
To bleed the true Passover dew

 
A heart pondered till it was rent
This sacrificial atonement
Of His good words her only boast
Her Son + Father and Holy Ghost

 

Words: Jay W. Watson 2013
Tune: Erhalt uns, Herr “Geistliche Lieder” Wittenberg, 1548

No comments:

Post a Comment