Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν Κύριον [Luke 1. 46b]

Monday, April 1, 2013

I Miss Lent: A New Top-Ten


TOP TEN REASONS THAT I KIND OF MISS LENTENTIDE:

 

10.  Really, really, miss writing all the extra sermons.

 

9.   With all the misery caused by the six weeks of fasting,
       I was able to lose 4 pounds!!!

 

8.   Already am nostalgic for the Face Book arguments
       over the proper vestments to wear for Good Friday.

 

7.   Veiling crucifixes and crosses this year took on an extra
       joy, as I convinced the parish to veil all the kitschy 60’s
       Frances Hook Jesus portraits.

 

6.   Without that psychic bond of praying the Litany every
       day with the P.O.T.S., I am once again just a lone
       scrub pastor out in the boonies.

 

5.   Now I have to wait a long eight months till Ad Te
       Levavi before I can say “ass” again in the Divine Service.

 

4.   Miss the glow of the people talking after each mid-week
       Vespers service about (but never to me??) my
       Sermon-Series on the six chief plants in the Old
       Testament as allegorical markers of the Tre Ore.

 

3.   Sword fights with the palm fronds on Palmarum:
       You can “take the Pastor out of the 8-year old boy,”
       but you can’t“take the 8-year old boy out of
       the Pastor.”

 

2.   Nothing says undercroft fellowship like stale bread and
       lukewarm split-pea soup midweek Vespers suppers!

 

[Drum Roll Please]

 

And now, the NUMBER ONE REASON that I kind of miss Lententide:

 

1.   Now that it’s Eastertide….I’ve got to start being
       nice to the parishioners again.

No comments:

Post a Comment