Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν Κύριον [Luke 1. 46b]

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Hubris of "Modernist" Exegesis ? ?

 
  Speaking of the correct doctrine of the SEMPER VIRGO; which I always like to do  :) - -  My good friend Wm. Weedon shared this with me, and some others, last year (I believe) and I would like to share it here.

   In the Lutheran Magdeburg Book of 1613, in the propers for SECOND CHRISTMAS DAY, the responsory at Matins (following the reading of Isaiah 40.9) is:

Beata Dei genitrix Maria, cuijus viscera intacta permament.  Hodie genuit Salvatorem seculi.
Beata et venerabilis virgo, quae sine tactu pudoris inventa es mater Salvatoris.  Hodie genuit Salvatorem seculi.


And the English would read something like:

Blessed Mother of God, whose virginity remains unsullied, today has given birth to the Savior of the world.
Blessed and venerable Virgin, who without damage to her virginity, became the Mother of the Savior, today has given birth to the Savior of the world.


   I would only prayerfully ask our modern, sex-drenched, and functionally impious (agreed...most mean no harm) Lutheran laity and religious, WHY, oh WHY do you seem to think our fathers in the faith were wrong in their exegesis, but you..."Upon whom the wisdom of the ages now rests" are correct?

   Or to paraphrase the good Doctor, Rev'd Professor John Stephenson"well, the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, was a VIRGIN in 1613, anyway....what the lc-ms has done to her since that time is anybody's guess..."

  Still sad, though, why people like to "pull her down."

Deo Vindice,
Fr. Watson SSP

2 comments:

  1. Great Megalunei Attitude Test (GMAT)

    WHY, oh WHY do you seem to think our fathers in the faith were wrong in their exegesis, but you..."Upon whom the wisdom of the ages now rests" are correct?

    A) Because our fathers art in heaven. In contrast, we art mired in the pig-styes of our sex-crazed brains, despoiling our inheritance like the profligate prodigals we are.

    B) Whoa, WHOA ... wait up with the foreign language, dude. Does "prodigal" mean "I-dig it-all," man, and does "profligate" mean "protestant?" Yeah, 'cuz if they do ... umm ... well, then I think that's okay, then.

    C) We've dropped the wisdom for years now. But see, saying 'sayonara' to Sirach et al. makes our Bibles a lot smaller and compact, like our iPhones, and thus they collect a lot less dust and allergens. Are we geniuses, or what?

    D) "Exegesis" sounds pretty naughty, somehow. So where can I go online, to subscribe?

    -- Your ("I'll take 'unworthy' for $500, Alec") servant,
    Herr Doktor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear Brother Michael... I would give Wm. Weedon's right arm to have you in my parish (writing my material)...I'm still laughing (thought I was going to have sharp angina the guffaws..well, the schadenfruede laughing while weeping) at your quip about compact iPhone sized Baah-ii-buls :)
    Either you start a daily blog (and not just the work of the Seraphim you do over at LoonyQuest) or I'm going to make you my co-blogger...I love your comments about 1000% more than my posts!
    father Jay

    ReplyDelete