Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν Κύριον [Luke 1. 46b]

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

ADDENDUM: Pastors, Priests, Friars & Fathers (Big Screen/Little Screen) I Like - - -

 In keeping with re-posting the two posts from my long-lamented (by me and Ray...and maybe Mike :) ) monster-kid blog (The Roads of Autumn Dusk) I give you the follow-up wrap-up to the one I loaded earlier this morning (see prior post below)

- - - JWW

 

Addendum



Leave us not forget the thespian of thespians (can you say I Claudius) Sir Derek Jacobi. Sir D perfectly plays Ellis Peters' Welsh monk/detective in PBS's Cadfael series (13 episodes) from 1994. Cadfael is one of the first forensic detectives...take that C.S.I.


And as much as I love the "fun" of Robert E. Howard's swash-buckling Puritan bad-ass SOLOMON KANE... we're not going to mention him.. ohh, duh!

But how could I have forgot the one and only Tom Bosley? I've thought Bosley's endearing and always 'fatherly' (cf: "Mr C" in Happy Days) character was the perfect match for Father Frank Dowling in ABC's THE FATHER DOWLING MYSTERIES. Great supporting cast as well.


HOW in the space-time continuum could I forget the second most famous literary detective (after Holmes, although I know my designation is open to challenge) of all time? And I'm a BIG Chesterton buff? Guess I had too much Turkey (tryptophan) Easter candy (sugar) and Dark Beer (beer) to be at my sharpest. Sorry.

The accomplished British actor Kenneth More gave a good turn at playing the English Priest in the 1982 production for PBS's Mystery. Oh how I loved all those wonderful adaptations of the great detective novels for the small screen.


Here we have the one and only Sir Alec Guinness as Father Brown in the 1954 movie "Father Brown" (aka 'The Detective'). Guinness also played the character of "The Bishop" in the 1955 movie by that same name. It was a tale of political intrigue based on a stage play. I have not seen it. I wonder if it was loosely based on the famous true life story of Hungarian Cardinal Jozef Mindszenty?

No comments:

Post a Comment