Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν Κύριον [Luke 1. 46b]

Monday, April 8, 2013

John 20 Quasimodo Pariphrastic(expialadocius) Hymn

WHEN EVENTIDE CAME
 
Words: Jay W. Watson. 2013
Tune: Maldwyn, Welsh Melody, c. 1600
Meter: 11, 11, 11, 11



When eventide came on that first and third day
They huddled in terror from the Jewish fray
Despite Mary’s word they had locked themselves in
Guilt scarred and still grieving their cowardly sin

 
Stood then their dear Master alive from the tomb
Yet what save a ghost steps into a locked room
The Lord spoke His sweet Peace amidst gathered doubt
Then asked if there might be some victuals about

 
O My friends calm your nerves and touch here My hands
And handle the pierced chest of He Who now stands
I’m not spirit wrathful but your Lord living
Receive My breath and Its gifts now be giving

 
But not in their band on this night was Thomas
Our Christ’s upper room visit sadly he missed
The ten shared their good news but Thomas denied
“I will not believe until I touch His side”

 
The Sunday next all eleven were present
Again appeared Jesus still living still rent
"Come Thomas" He said "touch My side and My hands"
"Cease doubting but believe I’ve broken deaths bands"

 
Then Thomas did place both his hands in the wounds
And uttered the creed that forever resounds
My Lord and My God, please forgive me my doubts
The banquet of Saints Hallelujah now shouts

No comments:

Post a Comment