TOP TEN IDEAS
TO MAKE YOUR CATECHESIS BETTER
10. Every time one of your students gets the right answer put on your
Luther hat and yell “Wunderbar!”
9. Let every kid who starts genuflecting during The Creed at Sunday’s
Mass skip turning in those pesky “sermon studies” (sic).
8. Reassure them that if they miss the correct answer during their final
public questioning (i.e. ‘dog & pony show’) you’ll ask the same
question to one of the adults attending that you know doesn’t have
a prayer in getting it right.
7. Sure you’ve told them you know Greek and Hebrew (thus
necessitating another visit to your Father Confessor), but they
won’t be ready for that whole hour in pig-Latin.
6. Threaten them that the first one to call The Reformer “Dr. Martin
Luther King” gets two additional years of Wednesday nights!
5. Kill two birds with one stone: When illustrating to them the
typological meaning of Joshua’s destruction of Jericho, go
‘Samson’ on the LWML display in the narthex and send it flying!
4. Promise that any kid who continually “cuts up” in class will
have his home “Confirmation-Sunday Party” visited by you and
several clowns with balloon animals.
3. When teaching the 6th Commandment (which you explain is
really the ‘Sexth’ Commandment) use those special “Children
Protection Services” dolls.
2. Explain why Anglo-Saxon profanities are not really what
the 3rd Commandment is all about, by utilizing the Rap lyrics of
DMX and Eminem.
DRUM ROLL PLEASE
And the Number One
IDEA TO MAKE YOUR CATECHESIS BETTER
1. Pack all the CPH stuff away and just use The Small Catechism.